Off The Record

Thoughts ideas and questions to share with any one who has way to much time on their hands to read this blog.


I wanna be like Steve...

I liked Steve. He was unique definately, but what made him so apealing was not how close he could get to crocs, snakes and the like (which you would never see me do...) but two simple yet profund things.

1. He lived his life to the fulliest. In full tecnocolour. Regardless of the danger, he was where his passion was. He had the disciplines to live his passion. I'm sure when his children were born that he entertained thoughts of being more conservative - easing off a bit perhaps- but my guess is this would have been for a mere nano second - becuase he's who he is and that's how he can offer so much. I have heard both in general comment and in the media people say there's risk invovled with what he did, and sooner or later it was gonna catch up with him. Some people even say he's crazy and well that's why he died. I find crazy and normal/abnormal relative words and well have different meanings to different folk. My crazy is anothers sane. So was he really that crazy? I think not. I think that the majority of people fear the pursuit of their passion, and after runing their passion through the risk analysis app, decide to stick with the monochrome tones of life(if at all they know what they're passion is) In all his life Steve lived it in full technocolour. I cannot help but admire that.

2. The second thing that I cannot but admire is how he delivered is cause. Plain and simple he made himself likeable - and once you liked Steve, it was only a matter of time until you would like and support his cause for conservation. This angle is subtle but IMHO can provide much more return on investment. Comparing this to other conservation organisations who tend to communictae their opinions in more confrontational means, Steve's modus operrandi still have a much broder appeal. This can be seen by the tributes at his zoo. I suspect this will have an effect long after he is laid to rest.

What excits me most is that this example Steve has set can be applied by all. In Christain circles the Steve's MO makes plain sense. If God has a plan for you then surely it makes sense to find out what it is and make it happen. Live it in full technocolour. Do not settle for the monochrome tones of life, no matter how much resistance you face nor how much discipline it takes.

And what better way to share to love of Christ than to be likeable. Surely you'll have much less resistance to the cause of Christ if people like you. More people have respect(maybe tolerence) for Christianity when you speak of Michael Jones and Inga the winger as opposed to say Brain Tamaki, yet all fight for the cause of Christ.

I think a better metric to use is not how long(or short) you live, but perhaps what you've done. Take this comparsion - if you lived twice as long as Steve, but only acheived half as much as Steve, then Steve would of acheived 25% more. Makes me think.

Thanks for everything Steve.

0 Responses to “I wanna be like Steve...”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Off The Record | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health